Rescue Plan for Mt Macpherson Ski Trails
The Revelstoke Nordic Ski Club keeps first aid kits at the Revelstoke Nordic Day Lodge, Ole Sandberg Cabin, and in the groomer. The following gear is also stored in the Maintenance Building:
Toboggan with toe bar Snowmobile Backboard, hard collars and spider straps Card board and plywood splints Blankets and tarp.
In addition, a rescue toboggan is stored at the Ole Sandburg Cabin on the deck. Inside the toboggan can be found a backboard, splits and blankets.
In Revelstoke: Revelstoke Search and Rescue maintains a toboggan and snowmobile with trained personal. They are reached through the RCMP or by calling 911. There is good cell phone coverage throughout the entire trail network. Some staff from the Forest District are familiar with the trails and are trained in basic first aid. They also have access to snowmobiles. They may be available to respond quickly during the mid-week. The office number is 837-7611.
- RCMP, Fire, or Ambulance…911
- Revelstoke Nordic Lodge…250-814-4264
A phone is available at the Revelstoke Nordic Day Lodge in the Ticket Office.
When communicating an emergency, note:
- The nature of the emergency
- How many people involved?
- What happened?
- Is there major trauma involved?
- What is the chief complaint?
- What are the signs and symptoms?
- Who is the victim – name, gender, and approximate age –also contact name and phone number.
- Where is the accident? (See map below)
- When did the accident happen?
- What are the current temperature and weather conditions?
- What is needed for the rescue? (Does the victim have a back or neck injury that calls for the use of a back board? Is the victim having any respiratory and circulatory problems that call for the need of oxygen and immediate transport)
- Your name and location.
If you have to leave the victim to get help, ensure they are positioned safely on the trail. Keep the victim warm from above and below through the use of extra clothing or padding.
If you are reporting a missing person, provide a name and a description of the person, travel plans, when and where last seen, experience level, type of ski equipment, and how prepared they may be.
This plan will be reviewed annually. It will be posted at Revelstoke Day Lodge Lodge, Maintenance Building, and Ole Sandberg Cabin. We will also publish it each season in the newsletter and will maintain a copy on the web site. Any comments to improve the plan can be directed to Dave Kaegi at 250-837-5784.
Plan last updated: December 2011